Sunday, January 27, 2008

I know what the bible says, but I believe this, PART II

My Friend Jeff Peterson wrote this as a Agape talk on a Keryx weekend, It is my belief also am proud to post it here.


I know what the bible says, but I believe this, PART II

Have you been broken? That’s what this bread in Communion signifies as we break it. God sent his son to be broken for our sins. Understanding that God is truly sovereign. Understanding that we are indeed free. Grace falls like rain on our sinful heads.

But also understanding that our freedom never takes precedence over God’s freedom. Also understanding that biblical freedom isn’t about doing whatever we want – biblical freedom is about being free from the curse of sin – that what Jesus was talking about in John 8 when He said, “"If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Then the Jews respond right away by saying they have never been in bondage. Oh? What about Egypt? And Jesus goes on to say they slaves to sin and they serve their father the devil. That was a hard teaching for them, for sure.

You can repent and believe that Jesus died for your sins and you can believe that He will save you. If you do that now, come forward to Accept the Christ Jesus as your personal savior. NOT in front of man but truly, honestly between you and God.

The Shorter Catechism based on the Westminster Confession of Faith starts off with a question.
What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. The Scriptural basis for that? 1 Corinthians 10:31: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Romans 11:36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. Psalm 73:24-26 You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. John 17:22 and 24: The glory that you have given me, I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,….. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

That’s our charge – to give glory to our Father.
As we walk through life the Holy Spirit will testify to us about Jesus as Jesus testified about Himself in a passage from Luke chapter 24. Two men are on the road to Emmaus and Scripture says: 13That very day two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, 14and they were talking with each other about all these things that had happened. 15 While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17And he said to them, "What is this conversation that you are holding with each other as you walk?" And they stood still, looking sad. 18 Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, "Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?" 19 And he said to them, "What things?" And they said to him, "Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, a man who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. 21 But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since these things happened. 22 Moreover, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning, 23 and when they did not find his body, they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. 24 Some of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but him they did not see." 25 And he said to them, "O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?" 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

28 So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He acted as if he were going farther, 29but they urged him strongly, saying, "Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent." So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them. 31 And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And he vanished from their sight. 32 They said to each other, "Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?" 33 And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem. And they found the eleven and those who were with them gathered together, 34 saying, "The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!" 35 Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.”

Jesus will be revealed to us as we walk with Him. But when we sin, we’re not walking with Him. I had a lousy week spiritually. I had a Romans 7 week. Why do I do the things I know I should not do and why do I not do the things I know I should? Paul beat me to it by 1900-some years. When I’m being disobedient, I find I’m not learning about Jesus. How can I learn about Him when my eyes are off Him? I’ve called out for mercy this week, trust me. Like Paul. Oh, wretched man that I am, who will save me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
God, be merciful to me, a sinner. Luke 18:13. That’s me. That’s all of us, if we’re honest. If we understand we serve a sovereign God. Scripture says “He reigns.” Present tense. I take comfort in that. But I also tremble. That means He knows what I’m doing and will deal with my rebellion how He sees fit.

Remember 1 Cor 12:12-27. And consider this – God heard what you prayed, he see’s what you do.

Does not the potter have rights over the clay? You might say that’s a bad example – we’re more than clay and God is more than a potter. Your objection isn’t with me then, it’s with the Apostle Paul and the prophet Isaiah, the human authors of Scripture, and ultimately with Almighty God, who 2 Timothy 3 says breathed out ALL Scripture? Paul and Isaiah both use the potter and the clay examples. God heard what you prayed here today and in His sovereignty He will choose to respond however He sees fit and our response to His response should be to glorify Him whatever that response may be. I pray you are ready for Him to answer. I also pray we are ready to receive each other’s answers.

No comments: